Monday, August 25, 2008

A Year of Humanae Vitae



In early June, our family got better acquainted with our newest member. She is a gem, a truly magnificent fruit of married love. Yes, there has been a loss of sleep, and yes, there has been expense occurred. But all the secular inconveniences melt away when I look at her, and know that she was made in the image of God.

This year marks the 40th anniversary of Pope Paul VI's pivotal encyclical Humanae Vitae, and instead of blogging at length about it, I lived it instead. Some of my colleagues are aghast at the fact that I have FOUR children, like I'm some out-of-control breeding maniac. I'm the oldest of nine children, so my perspective is a little different than someone who had one child, and then stopped out of fear of personal inconvenience.

Our little gem has started to smile recently, and laughs when we play our traditional baby games. The older kids have started school for the year, and my academic torments are to start soon as well. Still, God is good, and has blessed us beyond all deserving.

3 comments:

Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Beautiful family you have. God bless!!!!

The Unseen One said...

Good to see you back, Jimbob!

Anonymous said...

Aren't those first smiles the BEST? My second, Brett, was born in late August and he has started smiling and it just brings joy.

Thanks for your post on Humanae Vitae. Keep passing on the truth.