Sunday, June 11, 2006

I hate being right

The upcoming, at the time, Boston Gay Pride Parade was the subject of discussion over at Lair of the Catholic Cavemen, and I mentioned that it would be telling where Fr. Walter Cuenin popped up in the festivities. Little did I realize that he would be the headline in the Boston Globe: Ousted Newton priest cheered at gay pride service
A Catholic priest preached yesterday at the main worship service associated with Boston's gay pride week, setting up a potential conflict with a church hierarchy that has been increasingly vocal in its criticism of the growing acceptance of gay relationships in Western societies.

The Rev. Walter H. Cuenin, a longtime advocate of outreach to gays and lesbians in the Catholic Church, did not criticize or dispute Catholic teaching during his remarks, and he quoted several times from a 1997 document issued by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, which declared that ``the teachings of the Church make it clear that the fundamental human rights of homosexual persons must be defended."

So, a priest goes to a demonstration whose sole purpose is to elevate sin, and instead of admonishing the participants, he instead insists that the Church should uphold the dignity of those who adore their own sins. Hmm. Gross negligence, in failing to minister to the obvious need for spiritual guidance? How does leaving those in sin as captive to that sin fulfil his duty as a successor to the Apostles?

" Master, as you were on your way, your dear friend Lazarus has died."
" Oh well, I shall go to him anyway."
" Master, is there anything you can do?"
"Yes, roll back the stone."
Several men roll back the stone, and recoil from the stench of Lazarus' corruption.
" Lazarus, I uphold your inherent dignity, and I hope that tomb is comfy. You're going to be in there for quite a while.."
" Is that all, Master, you're just going to leave him in there?"
" Sure, God made him dead, why mess with that? Oh, look at the time! I've got a lunch at L'espalier to get to."

It just doesn't work. But, Fr. Cuenin thinks so:

`I told a friend of mine, about a month ago, that I was going to be here today, speaking at the gay pride interfaith service, and she said to me, `What's a Catholic priest doing at a gay pride service?' Cuenin said. ``My response was, `Why wouldn't a Catholic priest be here?' In the tradition of my own Christian faith, it seems to me, as I read it, that Jesus was always with those who were often the target of hatred and persecution."

Fr. Cuenin forgets, like so many others of his ilk, that Jesus called those sinners to repentance during His visits. "Go, and sin no more."(John 8:11, for those who actually believe sacred Scripture) Ring a bell, Fr. Cuenin? I'll let the Cavemen give Fr. Cuenin the lashing that my sense of charity forbids.

3 comments:

Doogie said...

That's half-measured charity, at best. It drives me crazy when our priests do that. I love your re-telling of the Lazarus story, by the way.

Kevin Whiteman said...

I'll let the Cavemen give Fr. Cuenin the lashing that my sense of charity forbids.

Nahh... I'm just shaking my head in disgust and pity

Brother James said...

I have to heavily edit myself as I write, because I have a sinful habit of very bad language. When I get mad, I cuss like an angry sailor, or ex-marine (Cavey), and so It's hard to write about stuff like this when my kids are around and listening (yeah, I like to talk while I write).

I'm sure this ..priest's cowardice in the face of the enemy is deplorable, and his missed opportunity to preach the Gospel is definitely a sin of omission that impacts every soul that was at the event. God have mercy on us! Send us more real Apostles to prune these dead branches!