Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Satan Workin' It.

A couple things jumped out at me from recent statements from different people. Here's the first:

"When I stopped communicating about my problems," he wrote, "the darkness increased and finally dominated me." - ex-pastor Rev. Ted Haggard

Ladies and Germs, get to Reconciliation. Find time if you're busy, and make time if you're really busy. Be wary of the excuses that keep you from making a good confession. Don't fall for the placation that "Well, Jesus has already forgiven my sins, so there's no need." I think Ted will now agree that that sophistry just doesn't hold when you're in battle.

Another tidbit, this time from Madison, Wisconsin, from people upset that the bishop is very intent on informing his flock:

Later, Scott said he thought the church leaders over-reacted and showed that they don't trust their parishioners to form their own opinions on civil matters.

If you are in a Catholic Church, there is an implied obligation to listen to your bishop. And the bishop has the obligation to inform the souls under his care with the Gospel and pertinent spiritual guidance. That's the way the Church has run for thousands of years. People are free to leave the Church and do their own thing, another long-standing tradition: schism.
There should be no differences between your civil and spiritual politics if Christ is truly Lord of All. If there are areas where you won't let Christ reign, then you really don't accept His reign at all. The Bishop of Madison, Wisconsin is trying to remind his flock of that.

3 comments:

Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

After the many years I spent wandering in evangelicalism, it has become a breath of fresh air to be told by a bishop of The Church that we need to heed!
When you sign on the dotted line to become Catholic, you are essentially saying "I am no longer my own Pope because, this Church has one already and doesn't need my popery,"
The moral meltdowns in both camps often result from the failure to submit to authority. Each time we choose to sin and disobey, it's as if we are telling God, "I know more than you about what's good for me." Chilling, but yet I still do it.
God have Mercy.(He does)

Cubeland Mystic said...

"If you are in a Catholic Church, there is an implied obligation to listen to your bishop. And the bishop has the obligation to inform the souls under his care with the Gospel and pertinent spiritual guidance."


This is tough get Cathoics to buy into.

Anonymous said...

"the darkness increased and finally dominated me."
Your point about Reconciliation rings loud and clear. I have yet to find a better remedy for my prideful heart than confessing my own sins out loud to another human being. Really nice post.