Monday, May 18, 2009

Grinding Gears

So, a long, long time ago, in a mental state far, far away...

Shaking Off Sleep


After giving up blogging for Lent,
two years later, St. Jimbob awakes to
find the blogosphere a changed place. The
recent change of power in government promises
peace and reconciliation. But, by peace means cloture
votes in the senate, and reconciliation means that any opposition
is expected to learn their place. Vapid "dialogs" threaten to undermine
long-held values, and "common ground" is code word for capitulation....


I gave up blogging, as my influences were less charitable than they should be, and I found myself being less charitable than I should be. So, I took an extended break, focused on my studies, and an indulged old joy of mine, hand-rolled cigars. The break is hard to end, but it's time to refocus, and again speak up at a time when many are just going along with the dominant culture of self-centered gratification.

Still, I have been blessed by my wife coming into the Church, and my oldest son receiving the Eucharist for the first time, all during this Eastertide. I would credit the charitable witness of our parish family, and passionate example of love of God and the Church by our pastor, more than any persuasion I could have offered.

This has been a season of reflection, especially after the sudden illness and death of my infant godson, John Paul. I contemplated upon the examples of St. Veronica, and St. Simon the Cyrene, upon helping, aiding, and comforting the suffering of my sister and her family. I prayed often for their intercession, not only for my sister and family, but also to inspire in me the same spirit of reaching out to the afflicted.

With all that's been going on in the large world, it's time to start speaking out again. Speaking the truth with charity, offering correction without calumny, and making damned sure that people don't mistake me for a milquetoast Catholic. No pussy-footing here folks, no equivocations, and no "I know the Church teaches this, but..." nonsense.

In short, I have every intention of leaving a vertiable mountain of evidence that I'm a follower of the one, true God, and a truly faithful Catholic.

2 comments:

Sir Galen of Bristol said...

It sounds as if you've been through the best of times, and the worst of times.

Welcome back!

Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

welcome back Jimbob!

Giving up blogging is never a bsd thing. Some of the greatest saints that ever lived did not have broad band access.

God bless